My Settings in Apple Downtime
Downtime is a setting in Screentime that enables the user to set specific blocks of time that certain apps are totally unavailable.
I use Downtime as a point of friction for making it hard for me to use my devices unconsciously.
I have Downtime set to be on between 20:30 (8:30PM) and 07:00. It's scheduled for Every Day.
Always Allowed Apps
Apple Downtime gives you the option of always allowing apps.
I want to use my devices in a healthy way during Downtime, not ignore it entirely, so I think having allowed apps that help me spend my time consciously towards what I want to do is a good thing.
Here are the apps that I always allow and why I always allow them:
- Phone, messages - In case someone needs to get in touch with me.
- Maps - In the rare occasion that I'm driving or in another city past my Downtime start.
- Obsidian - I write first thing in the morning (as early as 05:00) and sometimes write in my dream journal if I wake up in the middle of the night. Obsidian is where I write everything.
- Kindle, Audible, Libby, Blinkist, Snipd - I only consume content on these platforms for growth or rest, so I want them to be available.
- Spotify - I listen to music all the time and access to music during the activities I mentioned above is important.
The main heuristic I use for allowing an app during downtime is:
Is this a tool or platform I will use in an unconscious way?